Friday, November 12, 2010

Photography


Writing, cooking and now presenting: photography.
I really am quite a noob at photography, only started a few days ago.
So, bear with me

I'm using my dad's old camera - FujiFilm FinePix S6500
and I'm slowly getting used to it.




My camera has a dial on it with letters S, A, M and a whole lot of icons.
Being the noob I am, I had to get out the manual and read about them.

Auto- This one was in red and basically sets everything for you, such as focus, brightness, contrast and all those other factors.
Auto would be used for ordinary photography and it's the easiest and simplest mode

(S) Shutter Priority- This mode makes everything automatic except for the shutter speed.
A fast shutter speed would be used for freezing something in motion (eg: a sprinter)
and a slow shutter speed would be used to create movement in the photo (ever seen those photos that are created with sparklers)
In my camera, the faster the shutter speed (such as 1/4000 sec) the darker the photograph, as less light is captured.

(A) Aperture Priority- Another automatic mode, this changes the focus
A large aperture (which has a small number) results in the subject being clear, but the area in front and behind it being out of focus and blurred. Photographers use this to draw the viewers attention to the subject.
A small aperture (which has a large number) results in both the subject and the areas around it being in focus and this would be used in photographs of landscapes or even family photos
(M) Manual- As the name suggests, this is the mode where you control all the factors, such as shutter speed, aperture and various other functions.

Well, that's a part of the basics and there's also a vital rule to follow.
The Rule of Thirds.
Basically this is just dividing a photograph into thirds (much like a noughts&crosses or tic-tac-toe grid)
Where the lines intersect are the strongest focal points and the lines themselves are the second strongest focal points.



Photo Editing

There are a lot of programs that edit photos, online there are websites such as Picnik or Fotofunia and of course, everyone knows about Photoshop.
Apparently photoshops costs a lot, so I downloaded a trial version of a program similar to photoshop and it's called Serif PhotoPlus Starter Edition

With it you can change lighting, exposure, remove blemishes, crop photos, add effects or fix any mistakes you may have made whilst taking the photo.


A few days ago, I went for a walk around my suburb with my family and took a few photos
I've also added effects on them. Enjoy :P



I used 'CrossProcessing' on the photograph above- see how it compares to the original below.




I used 'Boost' on this photo and it makes all the colours in the photo much more vibrant





Above, I used 'Focal Black and White' and this makes everything black and white, except for a small area called the focal point. This effect makes things stand out.



With these two photos, I used vingette (above) and matte (below). The two effects are quite similar except that vingette makes the edge of the photo darker, whereas matte makes it lighter.




I used 'Sepia' on the photography above, with a little bit of fade to show green.


Above I used the picnik effect 'HDR-ish), which gives the photograph an interesting... almost grainy effect



Above, I used 'Holgarish' which makes the photograph black and white and makes the contrast between the white and black even greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment