Friday, July 30, 2010

The End - Chapter 3

It just felt extraordinarily strange. Only a day ago, dad was present. As mum, Lauren and I sat down for dinner; an unnerving silence filled the room. It was now time to sort out the funeral and his possessions.

Half way through the reading of the will, mum stopped at her own name. Choking in tears, her delicate hands shook. Comforting her, Lauren continued.

To my dear wife, Linda. Thank you for a lifetime of support and loving care. You have always been there for me. I’m so sorry that I had to leave at this time, but that’s how life is. I will miss you so much. You are an amazing woman and don’t let my passing affect you. Stay STRONG! To you, I give you our house, a large portion of my savings: $150,000, my clothes and car.
Love Greg.

To my sweet angel, Lauren. You have been such a pleasure to raise and seeing you grow up to the woman you are now is extraordinary. I have no regrets at all and I apologize for all the degrading words I have said to you. I will miss you oh so much as well. Even though I have passed, I will always remember you as ‘Daddy’s little girl’ and I will look after you from above and I will be there with you in struggles and hardships. To you, I give our dog, Marc, $50,000 and my collection of books and photo albums: remember to share them with your children!
Love Daddy

Tears cascaded down Lauren’s cheeks as she handed me the will. The last and only unread paragraph was addressed to me.

Ahh! At last, my son, Jacob. It’s been a wild ride watching you grow up. From the sleepless nights when you were a wailing baby, to the successful millionaire you are now. You’ve changed much and reflect so much of what I am! I’ve loved all those father-son moments and remember memory is one of the strongest senses! Don’t let anything stop you son! To you, I give you my collection of watches, ties and cufflinks. I have been dying to solve this mystery, a Japanese Puzzle Box.
You’ll figure it all out one day, Love Dad.

I was startled. Why was ‘dying to solve this mystery’ underlined? With a box of cufflinks, ties and watches in one hand and the puzzle box in the other, I departed from Mum’s place. I suppose I’ll have to wait until the Japanese Puzzle Box is solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment