Friday, July 30, 2010

The End - Chapter 5

Gliding over Tokyo, the sound from the aircraft’s engines softened. The Airbus A330 descended gradually; approaching Tokyo International Airport. Red seat belt signs illuminated as the captain’s voice echoed through the quiet cabin. The airbus touched down onto the light grey tarmac and soon slowed to taxi to its designated terminal.

With my fresh, crisp passport and digital translator in one hand and hand held luggage in the other, Lauren and I managed to collect our luggage, make our way through the customs and catch a bullet train to the top-notch hotel we’d booked in Tokyo city.

Within half an hour, we had arrived at a grand hotel. The air inside the spacious ‘Welcoming Lounge’ was warm and lightly perfumed. A beautiful Japanese receptionist greeted Lauren and I. As she elegantly strung together different Japanese words, all we could do was nod and listen politely. Silently typing ‘Sorry, we do not speak Japanese, we speak English’ into my pocket translator, I tapped the pronunciation button and handed it over the young woman known as Harajuku. The harsh mechanical voice of the pocket translator contrasted the soft soothing tone of Harajuku. She handed the translator back to me and apologized in English.

She signaled to another receptionist and passed me an envelope addressed to:
“Mr. Jacob Davies & Ms. Lauren Davies”

“Hi can I help you?” A well groomed gentleman took over Harajuku’s position. With the language barrier out of the way, we were handed an electronic key to a high-tech hotel room.

It was sunset already and what a crazy day it had been. Only 2 days ago, Lauren and I were trying to solve that puzzle. After a smooth and swift elevator ride, we came to the realization that the hotel room was already unlocked. What did this mean? I swapped glances with Lauren and slowly opened the creaky door to discover a hotel usher standing on a hard marble table. He seemed to be pushing something into the corner of the roof. Noticing that the ‘guests’ had arrived; he nervously jumped down and apologized ‘Shu-mi-ma-sen.’

He walked briskly out of our hotel room leaving Lauren and I puzzled. The first thing we decided to do was to read the mysterious contents of the envelope.

Written in ink was the following:

Jacob and Lauren Davies:

Welcome to Japan! I am Honorary Takumi Oshiro.
I have heard that Chef Masayuki has recommended you to visit me, regarding your puzzle that your late father has given you. I am available tomorrow morning at 10.
See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment